Thursday, December 31, 2009

Culture Day




Today was a fun day.  We started out with "culture day" with Dave's friend, Bob, which included early dinner at Nando's (a delicious Portuguese chicken chain) followed by a tour of the Urbis, the Manchester museum of urban culture.  One of the main exhibits at the Urbis features the development of hip hop in the UK, hence the first photo.  It's a neat museum with rotating art and pop culture exhibits.  And it's free! Bonus.


Following our adventures at the Urbis, we took the tram to Old Trafford for the Manchester United vs. Wigan match.  I can finally admit that I now sort of understand the sport of soccer and can validate that it can in fact be exciting.  I really enjoyed it; not sure I can or will become as big of a fan as Dave is, but I liked it a heck of a lot better than American football.  One observation about the game: British people are *so* polite (or at least these fans were).  They applaud everything.  When a player would shoot and miss, rather than scream and rant and throw things like we (or I) would, they applaud as if to say, "Oh, good effort, do try again!"  Crazy.  It was charming though and made for a good atmosphere at the match.


Now we're packing up to head to Belfast tomorrow for New Year's.  Blogging will continue in a few days!


Addendum: Manchester United won 5-0. Oops - forgot that detail!

2 comments:

  1. Kelsey...we don't know if Man U won or not? If you see this in the wee hours,Have a fun time in Ireland...Guinness Time! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Culture Day! Heather would be proud. Have fun in Belfast.

    ReplyDelete